Saturday, October 27, 2012


Hurricane Sandy is way out to sea, some two hundred miles off the coast of Florida; still our weather has been affected by this storm for several days now, though not severely (thank goodness!) but with cloud cover (our solar hot water tank is sad), windy conditions (my potted plants keep blowing over) and intermittent rain showers (windows open or closed?). It's amazing how something so distant can have such far reaching affects.

The thought came to me as I looked out the window this morning at another rare cloudy Florida day; do I even realize what affect I have on others and how far the outer bands of my words, behavior and attitudes stretch? We live in a society that shouts, "Live and let live!" and "What I do isn't hurting anyone so don't bother me." Not everyone will be caught up in the eye of our stormy actions but the ripple effect of every action we take may influence more than we know.

The people of the church in Philippi were instructed by Apostle Paul: "Whatever happens, conduct your selves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." (Philippians 1:27). So Lord Jesus, remind us today that the outer bands of our life are affecting others, and grant us grace to take stock of every word, opinion and deed as our influence spreads far and wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment